lang: Standard C
*** This is a pre-release of yorick-1.0, which will come out soon. ***
Yorick is an interpreted language like Basic or Lisp, but far faster.
* A C-like language, but without declarative statements. Operations
between arrays produce array results, which is one reason for
Yorick's high speed. Scientific computing and numerical analysis
are the goals of most Yorick programs.
* An X window system interactive graphics package. Concentrates on
x-y plots and filling and contouring quadrilateral meshes. Also
handles cell arrays. Hardcopy to binary CGM or PostScript files.
A separate CGM browser is included.
* Yorick's binary file package can read or write floating point
formats foreign to the machine where Yorick is running. Thus, you
can share binary files freely on heterogeneous networks.
* A library of functions written in the Yorick language. These
include Bessel, gamma, and related functions, multiple key sorting,
spline, rational function, and least squares fitting, and routines
to read and write netCDF files.
* Provisions for embedding compiled subroutines and functions within
a Yorick interpreter. A compiled package which solves matrices and
performs FFTs is supplied.